HERMAN TO GOUDA – Tripping Report
by Richard Kohler
For those with Google Maps see : https://goo.gl/H9uwzC
This section of the river remains untouched by “Working for Water” and as such has old and new trees lying across the river.
Places of interest are as follows:
1) 10 min after the start we had to ramp over a tree trunk. The dropping water levels could make this a portage.
2) @ 11km, just after the silo’s on the left, is a tree block. exercise caution. Portage on right over the roots.
3) Hyacinth block 1 – portage on the right only. Run 150m on farm jeep track
5) Hyacinth block 2 – portage on the right – dont need to climb the bank (1km before Zonqwas bridge)
5) take main river left after putting in at Hyacinth block 2 (sneak is a bit cluttered)
6) Hyacinth block 3 – 100m after Zonqwas bridge – quick portage left or right (option 2 – portage at bridge and run along right bank)
7) @ 25km (Abbeys Alley) – just before blue/White drums river turns right – the sneak going straight is blocked so look for the main flow going left into Abbeys Alley.
after exiting Abbeys Alley there is a tree block. Can go underneath on the FAR RIGHT. Stay away from the left!!!
8) Palmiet drop 2km to go and only place that a splash cover is handy